Searchin'

Monday, January 30, 2006

The Shoulda Coulda Woulda Ooda Booda

THE MOMENT IN BETWEEN

Welcome to my Saturday afternoon. My mind was in a thousand places, not only was I trying to get things together for a surprise party, I was trying to keep it from the birthday boy. So I’m sitting around chumming it up with one of my homies, when the all too familiar “beep beep” of my text message alert rang out. So I flip the phone open and read, “Am I invited to the party?? Haha” As I removed the scrunched looked from my face I began to think of the ways in which I could answer this ridiculous question. So I finally decided that I didn’t have time to worry about this tom foolery and simply replied, “you will have to make the judgment call on that.” Ya see, don’t be fooled by the ha ha. It was meant as a ha ha, I know about the party and haha, I know why I wasn’t invited. So once again, I hear the now unwanted T-mobile jingle, flip open the phone and read, “Well damn” I was like I know “Lonely on a Saturday night” is not trying to act like I hurt her feelings. And then I started to think about it, the moment. You know the moment where you can be the friend someone wants you to be or the friend you need to be. See, “Lonely” probably would’ve liked me to say, girl I figured you probably wouldn’t want to go or did you want to go? knowing damn well that ain’t a good idea. That is the “friend I want you to be” answer (and the reason why I didn’t say she probably wouldn’t want to go is because she was never going to be and didn’t need to be invited!!!! So that was never an option)


Now from time to time I have been labeled a meanie, only because I was being the friend I should’ve been and not the one they wanted me to be. Where do we draw the line? Should we draw the line? Why is it that people want their friends to lie to them about the smallest things? Why is it people ask you questions that if they were to ask themselves, and truthfully answer, they wouldn’t like even what they have to say? Nonetheless, day to day we push people to the limits, placing them in the in between. “Lonely” know good and damn well why she was not informed about the party. There was no need, plain and simple. Now I don’t think I was mean to the poor child, I could have brought up why she din’t need to go, I didn’t do that, no need to get ugly. Heck, I didn’t even say she couldn’t go. All I said was you make the judgment call, I just didn’t say what she wanted me to say. Is that being a bad friend? I put the ball in her court, hell you know the reason, tell it to yourself, why you trying to get me to do it!!

So to all my friends out there, whenever you find yourself stuck in a moment with me, be the friend you should be (I'm hoping I don't put you in one). Tell the truth, don’t sugarcoat it or try and protect my feelings. If I ask you a ridiculous question that puts you in a awkward position, tell me the answer to the question no matter what that is. If you think I’m being stupid, let me know. If you think it’s a bad idea, give me a better one. That doesn’t make you mean or a bad friend. To me, it just means you truly consider me your friend becase you are willing to tell me things you know i don't want to hear. So people be careful, because the person who doesn't speak their mind and tells you to go in directions you might not need to go, may be more of an enemy than a friend.

So I guess what I’m saying is with me( and it should go for everyone) there are no shoulda, coulda, or woulda’s, wit me it’s just what it is homie. And to "Lonely on a Saturday night," next time you put yourself in a postion to have your hand dealt to you, you just might get it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brittni said...

Well you are just too hardcore aren't you Leslielou? You should always be the friend you "need to be" it's just about how you communicate that honesty. There are ways to come across as being sincere without being frank and inconsiderate. I think that friendship is about finding the happy medium. :-)

Tuesday, 31 January, 2006  
Blogger Seena Brodnax said...

Gul keep it real. You know how I feel...I will always tell you the truth. Deal the hand, and if they dont wanna play anymore then tell them to get the hell off the table.

Tuesday, 31 January, 2006  
Blogger Mr. Smart Guy said...

I think you did the right thing - I'd rather have a friend tell me the truth (however painful it might be) than someone in my face sugarcoating a lie....

Tuesday, 31 January, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home