Searchin'

Thursday, May 25, 2006

A Time to Let Go

As I was perusing through my boy Can’t Stop Won’t Stop’s myspace friends list, I came across a mutual friend of ours. So no doubt, I immediately sent him a message. Now it had been a while, so I guess I had to reintroduce myself in some ways, like “ you know remember, I met you and yadda yadda yadda” I’m assuming I did a good job cuz he hit me back with a WASSUP!!! Now I know a little bit about what’s going on with him thanks to Can’t Stop, but we went over the usuals. What are you up to, how’s it going, how many baby mamma’s/daddy’s you got, you know the normal sh!t. So eventually I knew he was going to ask that one question, “How’s your girl.” How many people thought I was gone say something about a boy? You see, Doo Wop, that’s what we’ll call my new/old buddy, used to date a friend of mine in college. Let’s just say he was able to shake the chick before I was.

Leslielou-I don’t really know cuz I hadn’t talked to her since we got out of school.

Doo Wop- why yal don’t talk no mo’…females I tell ya

Leslielou- ain't no cuz we girls, she's just not the kind of person I needed to be associated with that's all.

Doo Wop- and what kind of person is that?

Leslielou- It doesn't matter, I wish her the best ;)

Doo Wop- whoa sounds kinda harsh...did I hit a nerve? tight wad

Leslielou- not at all you didn't hit a nerve. I really do wish her the best. I mean I actually am one of the few people in our crew that don't just have whopper sized beef with her. I just don't have time for the drama is all.

Doo Wop- u aint go fill ya boi in on what went down...I aint go tell nobody, lol

Leslielou- Still haven’t responded to this…..

Now I thought I was handling the situation very well. I could have easily dragged this poor unsuspecting girl’s name through the mud. I mean she did get a little grimy and probably deserves it, but what good would that do. Also, that just really ain’t my style and technically I have no real problem seeing as though she never crossed the line with me. Except this one time, but that’s a blog for another day.

Anyhoo, it got me to thinking. He was really pressing the issue trying to get me to divulge some juicy secret, something to look back on and laugh at. I thought I had reached a point where the petty things that happened in college and high school were left where they happened, in the past. I don’t want to be at a reunion looking like:

LeslieLou- “Look at LaTisha, that funky b!tch, she used to keep me up way too long in the dorm blasting that radio all the time. And look at Jackie over there, I can tell she still a hoe. Can’t believe that heifer tried to get with my man.”

College buddy- “Didn’t they end up getting married and weren’t you cheating on him anyway.”

Leslielou- Huh???? {Completely fictional}

Let’s face it. We all did things in college or high school or for that matter in the past, that we regret or look back on like, damn, I can’t believe I did that shit. I don’t want anybody holding something petty over my head for all eternity. Now I’m not saying I’m going to jump up and down the next time I see her, but I won’t give her the evil for eye for something she did to the girl down the hall twenty years ago. I mean come on, how long are we supposed to hold on to some of these things. Now I’m not saying every person that has wronged me somewhere in the future will start off with a clean slate, but I think sometimes we have to look back on situations and realize that everyone makes mistakes, whether they mean to or not. Secondly, people evolve. I hope in ten years I’m not the exact same person doing the same bull I was doing in college and I hope when people see me ten years from now that’s not all they think of.

In regards to this topic, there is a girl that I always think about when I go home. I’m hoping one day to catch her, ya know just to reassure myself that she is still alive and doing well, which I’m hoping she is. When I initially got out of high school, I yearned for the chance to see her, so I could roll my eyes, say something I know would erk her, but now, not so much. I’d probably feel ashamed for the way I acted years ago and only hope that she was willing to forgive my mistakes, as I would be willing to forgive hers.

So, what do yal think about this? Do you think we should hold on to some of the things that have happened to us in the past? And is there anything that you just can’t seem to let go of?

3 Comments:

Blogger leslielou said...

Gosh...
Looks like I need to send some sunshine your way. I feel ya. However, when some of the stuff was going on to certain people it was probably a big deal. But I'm hoping it's not that serious ten years from now ya know what I'm saying. Yeah ok, she slept wit yo' man. But you ain't even really like him and wasn't his d!ck little, i'm talking bout stuff like that.

Thursday, 25 May, 2006  
Blogger Brittni said...

Don't hold grudges girl, it's not worth it. (I was actually thinking about blogging something along these lines) When you mature, you learn that some things just aren't that important to hold on to. That holding on to the pain associated with them, weighs you down.

Now I'm not saying, turn the other cheek every time someone hurts but I am saying that once you've been wronged, move on from the pain and look forward. Chances are that petty stuff won't matter sooner than later cuz you'll have so many other great things to concentrate on.

Thursday, 25 May, 2006  
Blogger leslielou said...

I don't hold grudges. Like I said the girl didn't do anything to me. However, I know that some people would've jumped on that invite to spill the beans and ran all the way with it. But in the end, does that bull even matter, NOPE!

Thursday, 25 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home